To accompany many of my spicy North African and Middle Eastern dishes, I decided to share a Tabouli salad. It doesn't require any spices, so it's mild, but the heavy amount of parsley really marries well with any spicy dish. It creates balance by adding something light to the heavy meals. Everything can be adjusted according to taste. Feel free to add more tomato, or change the dressing. I eat this with a meal, and not as a salad alone. If I ate it as a salad alone, I would add more tomatoes, scallions, and even cucumber. We've had it with couscous, kebabs, and different tagine recipes. I love it with pita bread and hummus as well.
Serving Size = 2
- 1/4 cup of bulgur, soaked for 2 1/2 hours
- 2 cups or so of Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 - 3 tablespoons oil (EVOO, grapeseed, I used walnut oil)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt, about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper
- Drain the bulgur and squeeze out excess water.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the salad.
- Mix together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Combine and serve.