We've had a ton of squash from our garden this year. Stupid amounts really. I knew that if I was going to prepare it for dinner, I'd better hide it in as many spices as possible. So that is what I did. Any time you want to force your family to eat veggies, just make a tagine recipe. If you're unfamiliar with tagines, just think of them as a North African stew. The meal is called tagine, and the cooking vessel is also called a tagine. If you don't own a tagine, just use a clay or heavy cast iron pot with a lid.
In other news, my little man Emmett has been crawling for a few months, and now he's standing and traveling along the furniture. He gets into everything. EVERYTHING. He's a busy little boy. My Mimi is doing well also. She spends a good chunk of her day outside with our new dog. When she's inside, she loves to help with the cooking. She even photographs the food with me. It's adorable. :)
|Onions and Bell Peppers|
|Garlic, ginger, and spices|
|Soften the veggies|
|Add the spice mix|
|Add the whole tomatoes and water|
|The never ending yellow squash|
Serving Size = 2
- Oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 yellow squash (2 cups or so), large pieces, about 1 1/2 inches or so
- 1 - 15 oz can of tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water (more as needed)
- 1 lb of sirloin (I cut them into big pieces, about 2 inches at least, but you can reduce a bit)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 3 - 4 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped roughly
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Brown the meat in the tagine, over medium heat, with some oil and then remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and bell pepper. Cook, scraping the bottom a bit, until tender. Add the spices, garlic, and fresh ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add 1/4 cup or water to deglaze a bit. Add the tomatoes and the meat (with juices). Stir well, add another 1/4 cup of water if necessary (liquid should be half way up the meat, or so). Reduce heat a bit, to medium low. Cover and cook for 1 hour, or until mostly tender.
- Add the potatoes and cook 10 - 15 minutes, then add squash and cilantro and cook 15 - 20 minutes, or until tender.
- I served mine with flat bread.