I decided to do a combination of mini and regular muffins. It's a great idea if you have little kids because they can eat the tiny muffins and the adults can eat the regular muffins (less waste!). I hadn't thought of that until after I made the muffins though. Really, the only reason I made regular muffins was because I didn't want to wait for the mini muffins to cook, cool, and then re-fill the pan and bake..... pure laziness. :) The muffins turned out wonderfully with a good amount of lemon, very moist, dessert-like but not too sweet.... just perfect (I found the recipe at Eat Cake For Dinner).
My toddler still hasn't tried the mini muffins though. Instead, she pulled a chair up to the table and stuck her finger into each muffin creating tiny holes. Lovely....
Update: My toddler LOVES them. It just took her an entire day to decide to take a bite... now most of them are gone. :)
|The dry ingredients|
|The wet ingredients|
|Mini and regular muffins|
Serving Size = Roughly 2 batches of mini muffins (24 per batch), or roughly 12 regular muffins. I did 1 batch mini muffins and 6 regular muffins.
Original Recipe: Eat Cake For Dinner
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zest and juice (roughly 2 tablespoons zest and 4 - 5 tablespoons juice)
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt (I used regular)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (I skipped)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I had to use EVOO, but grapeseed oil, almond oil, or butter would work)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
I changed this part, see original recipe link above for original recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Roughly 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Rub together the sugar and lemon zest until fragrant. Add the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt to the lemon/sugar mixture.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients (not the glaze).
- Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients but do not over mix.
- Pour into mini muffin pan or regular pan.... or both, like I did. I put both into the oven. The mini muffins take 12 - 15 mins (15 for me) and the regular muffins take 15 - 20 mins (20 for me).
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
- Once completely cool, mix together the glaze and drizzle over the top.