My mom had to have knee surgery a few weeks ago, so I decided to bake her a cake. I was originally going to bake a plain ol' yellow cake, but then I happened to see the Christmas edition of Bon Appetit and they featured a gingerbread cake. And she loves gingerbread. Perfect. :) Then I got creative and did my own thing. I found a cream cheese icing recipe over at Cinnamon Girl, and then decided to make candied pecans and sprinkle them on top. I did sneak a tiny piece from the cake and it was delicious, but I couldn't cut into the cake for a picture. Ok, I could have and almost did but..... it's not my cake so I decided to leave it together. Mostly for the "wow factor." Yuuup, a Storage Wars reference... or two.... I'm probably the only person that watches that show....
Also, there will be some changes on my blog in the next few weeks. I will let you know before anything happens, of course. :)
Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Pecans
Serving Size = 18-inch round cake
Adapted from: Bon Appetit, December 2011
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mild/light molasses (I used full flavor)
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat an 8-inch metal cake pan (I used round) with nonstick spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper, then spray the paper as well.
- Mix together the flour and next five ingredients in a bowl.
- Place butter in a large bowl and add 1/2 cup boil water. Mix until the butter melts. Whisk in the sugar, molasses and egg. Add the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake until tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. Let it cool and remove the parchment paper.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, more if needed
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy, gradually add the butter and powdered sugar.
Click here for Candied Nuts recipe.
I used chopped pecans and had to cut the recipe down to this:
- 1 egg white with a splash of water (I only used half of this)
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Mix together, spread onto a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven (250F) for about 40 minutes, stirring from time to time.
After the cake cools, spread the frosting over the top. Sprinkle on the candied pecans.
Linking to: Gallery of Favorites