The other day I was thinking about how I need to use up some of the cranberries in my fridge. My mind immediately went to muffins. Any time I need to use up fruit I tend to think of muffins. Anyway, at first I wanted to make orange cranberry muffins but since I've already made orange cranberry bread, I wanted to do something different. Then I remembered the apples in my fridge..... so the idea of cranapple muffins was born. :)
Just to experiment, I replaced the milk with apple juice and it worked very well, giving the muffin a lot of apple flavor. You could also do all milk, 1/2 milk and 1/2 apple juice, or even 1/2 milk and 1/2 orange juice. You can also replace the butter with oil, which is what most recipes call for. I try to avoid using up my oil though. And even though 1 cup of sugar sounds like a lot, it isn't that much. These are wonderful for breakfast since they're not over-the-top sweet.
Also, I apologize if my blog has been full of typos recently. I am lacking sleep. YAAWWWNNNNNN
I love my kids and can't wait to have more but......... waking up a few times every night starts to get exhausting after a while. Really, I only wake up maybe twice every night for about 15 minutes but I'm such a big baby that I need 8 hours uninterrupted or I'm worn out the entire day.
Totally worth it though.
|Chop them up|
|Add apples and cranberries to the batter|
|Fill the muffin pan|
|Let cool and serve|
Serving Size = 12 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (could replace with oil)
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped (I used the food processor)
- 1 cup of cranberries, chopped (used food processor)
- 1 cup apple juice (could replace with milk)
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a muffin pan.
- In a mixer, mix together the eggs and sugar. Add the butter and apple juice and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add to the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Measure out 1 cup of cranberries and place into food processor and chop. Add to the batter. Peel 1 small apple, place into food processor and chop. Add to the batter. Mix until just combined.
- Fill the muffin pan 3/4 of the way full and place in the oven. Cook 18 - 20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Leave in the muffin pan for a few minutes (about 3 - 5 mins). Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.