The other day I was trying to think of something for lunch. Pasta salad just popped into my mind (probably because it's so hot out). Normally people make this with a bottle of Italian dressing, but I never buy dressing so that wasn't possible. I would love to use fresh herbs, but my herb garden is lacking slightly at the moment. As soon as I recover from whatever I currently have I plan to get my herbs going again. Anyway, I decided to put together an Italian herb dressing mix with dried herbs and it is now stored in my pantry. Any time that I need Italian dressing, I can pull out the mix and add some vinegar and oil et voila --- Italian dressing.
By the way, check out the two bowls (the one on the very top and the one on the very bottom). Both came from a store in TN. They are handmade pottery and they are absolutely stunning. You can easily buy them online with a quick search (which I plan to do in the future, shhh, don't tell hehehe). I love all pottery, as you know --- Mexican, Moroccan, Algerian, American --- I don't care. The only thing I would caution people about is to make sure you're not buying anything toxic. Some can be made with lead or other dangerous things. For lead, you can actually buy a lead test online if you're worried. Anyway, just discuss it with the store owner and do a bit of research to make sure. I would not recommend buying old pottery to cook/serve in, I would stick with new. And if you are REALLY unsure, then just use them for decoration, they are stunning to look at.
Italian Dressing Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- For the dressing, whisk together 1/8 cup vinegar (I used tarragon vinegar) and 1/3 cup oil (I use grapeseed or avocado oil) and 1 tablespoons of the dry mix and salt/pepper to taste.
- 1/2 lb rotini pasta
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup or so of chopped broccoli
- Italian Dressing, as seen above (you may not need to use all of it though, just to taste)
- 1/4 cup or so of Parmesan cheese
- Add any veggies you want, any amount you want. Boil the pasta, rinse it off under cold water. Mix everything together, add the dressing, mix and serve.