I've just made the best chicken I've ever had in my life, seriously, ever. It was amazingly juicy, flavorful, and just heavenly. My husband and I received a smoker for Christmas and we decided to use it today. I can't get over the juices though, holy moly. They were just pouring down the chicken. I decided to pair the super-chicken with Girlichef's orange broccoli with brown butter and almonds. It complemented the chicken perfectly --- very crisp, clean, refreshing, the orange flavor really stood out and the almonds added a nice crunch. I thought the butter would weigh it down, but it didn't at all. A must try!
|The new toy --- An electric smoker.|
|Moist white meat.|
|Juicy dark meat.|
Apple Wood Smoked Chicken
Serving Size = 3 - 4
- 1 small whole chicken (maybe 3 lbs)
- 1/4 stick or so of salted butter, cut into slices
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 cup apple wood chips soaked for 30 minutes
- Soak the chips for 30 minutes in water.
- Gently loosen the skin on top of the chicken breasts and push the butter inside. Salt and pepper the chicken to taste. Cut the lemon in half and place both inside of the chicken.
- For my machine, I add the apple wood to one container (about 1 cup) and water to another container. Place the chicken inside the machine and close. Cook at 225F for roughly 2 1/2 hours. Internal temperature should be 180F, always check before removing.
- Cut up and serve. I serve it with the skin, but I don't eat it because it can be a tiny bit tough and strong.
|Refreshing side dish.|
Broccoli with Orange, Almonds and Brown Butter
Serving Size = 4 or 5
- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into florets (5 cups)
- 1/4 cup of butter (I used unsalted)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 an orange, juice and zest separate
- Sea salt
- Start by cooking the broccoli. Girlichef cooks it in the microwave by adding the broccoli to a microwave safe bowl and adding a few tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave until al dente. Drain and set aside. I used my steamer and cooked it on the stovetop.
- Melt the butter over low heat (I kept mine right between low and medium). Once it has melted, swirl constantly and watch for the milk solids to turn brown. A nutty, buttery smell should follow. Once this happens, remove from heat or it will burn. Add the orange zest and almonds, swirl.
- Pour over the broccoli and then squeeze the orange half over the top. Mix and serve.