Polenta Tamale Pie Recipe:
Serving size = 5
- 1lb of ground beef
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cumin (maybe more, taste and check)
- 1 - 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- 2-3 small green peppers, or one large one, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 cup of polenta
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Pinch of salt
|Let the polenta cool|
|Add the tomatoes and green peppers|
|Place in the oven|
- Start with making the polenta. Bring the 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot, slowly pour in the polenta and stir. Turn down to simmer, stir often. Be careful, it will pop all over the place. After 30 minutes it should be pretty thick. Pour the polenta into a buttered bowl and let it cool.
- Brown the beef in a pan, then add the tomatoes, green peppers and spices.
- Once the peppers and tomatoes have cooked down a bit, add the cilantro, stir and pour the meat mixture into a large baking dish (13x9x2). Layer on the cheese, then "crumble" the polenta on top. Bake in the oven at 350F until the sauce is bubbling.
To make this meal a little more interesting, I went ahead and added some sides.
- Chop a head of lettuce, place into a bowl. In a separate bowl add the juice of 1 lime and some oil (3:1), pour over the lettuce and toss. Done!
- Chop 3 small ripe tomatoes and 1-2 spring onions and place into a bowl. Add a tablespoon or so of chopped fresh cilantro. Done!
- Sour cream is a necessity with any Mexican dish. 1 cup of sour cream, 2 teaspoons of cumin (to taste), and 1/2 lime juiced. Mix. Done!
I am adding my link to Foodie Friday, Food On Fridays, Friday Food. Click on the links to see what other people are cooking!